The application deadline for AY 2022/2023 is October 15, 2021.
What is the FLEX program?
The FLEX program was created by the United States Congress in 1992. It established a year-long, fully funded exchange program for secondary school students to travel to the United States for a year. Now in its twenty-fourth year, the FLEX academic year program has provided scholarships to over 29,000 secondary school. The goal of the program is to promote mutual understanding between citizens of the United States and countries in the region, as students learn more about the U.S. and teach Americans about their countries. Each scholarship recipient will live for one year as a member of a U.S. host family and study in an American high school. Secondary school students with disabilities are invited to participate in the competition. Approximately 20 students with disabilities are invited to the U.S. on the FLEX program each year. Selected students with disabilities must meet the same criteria as other participants in the program.
Requirements for participants:
The competition is to all students who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have Estonian citizenship;
- are currently enrolled in grade 9-10;
- study English in secondary school;
- meet the requirements for receiving a U.S. visa and have not spent more than 3 months of the last five years in the U.S.
What does the scholarship provide?
The FLEX scholarship provides the following:
- Round-trip domestic and international travel (from home to the United States and back)
- Small monthly allowance to help students participate in social activities and buy necessary personal items
- Placement with a selected and screened U.S. host family for one year
- Enrollment in a U.S. secondary school
- Program orientation activities including preprogram preparation and re-entry preparation
- Program activities arranged in local U.S. communities
- Medical insurance, excluding pre-existing conditions and dental care
Who organizes the program?
American Councils for International Education organizes recruitment, selection, orientation, and travel arrangements for the FLEX program. Founded in 1974, American Councils is an international non-profit organization working to improve mutual understanding between countries, exchange ideas among individuals, and enhance collaboration through education. It designs, implements, and supports innovative programs in the United States, Europe, Eurasia, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa.
More information: FLEX Estonia
Deadline October 15, 2021
Apply here: ais.americancouncils.org/flex