The U.S. Embassy in Tallinn informs U.S. citizens of planned demonstrations throughout Estonia scheduled for Monday 9 May to mark Victory Day. Embassy personnel have been advised to avoid these areas during the demonstrations, and to remain cognizant that the security situation can change rapidly in these scenarios.
Even demonstrations or gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Thousands of people are expected to visit the Bronze Soldier Memorial at the Defense Forces Cemetery (Kaitseväe Kalmistu). The celebration is expected to last all day and up to 15,000 visitors are expected throughout the entire day.
- From 17:30-18:30 there will be a march from Odra Street (near the Tallinn Central Bus Station), along Filtri Street, to the Bronze Soldier memorial. Expect heavy traffic through Filtri Street because of the amount of people and vehicles gathering/parking.
- Additionally, a request has been made to hold a demonstration with motorbikes in Tallinn. Estonian authorities have not issued permission for this event, however there is a chance the group will proceed with the demonstration.
1. There will be flower-laying at the monument in Raadi Park. The event is expected to be peaceful; 200-300 people are expected to visit the site throughout the entire day.
For further information about security in Estonia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Country Specific Informationfor Estonia. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Estonia, located at Kentmanni 20, Tallinn at +372-668-8128,8:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday throughFriday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +372 509-2129, or if there is no answer, please call +372-668-8169. Inquiries about American citizen services provided by the Embassy’s Consular Section may be directed to ACSTallinn@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).