Citizenship Services

Welcome to American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Tallinn, Estonia.  We provide services for United States Citizens in Estonia.  We are open for appointments Monday to Friday. We are closed to the public on U.S. and Estonian Public Holidays.

Applicants seeking to register the birth of an American Child, and obtain a passport for that child, are required to make an appointment with the Consular Section.

To schedule an appointment for U.S. citizen services, please write to

To make an appointment please click here.

For emergency ACS services, please call 66 88 100 or send an email to

This page provides information only for U.S. citizens who wish to obtain a citizenship document and first-time passport for a child born in Estonia.  (If you wish to obtain a first-time passport for a child born in the United States, or for a child born in another country other than Estonia, please contact the Consular Section for more information).

Before a first-time passport can be issued to a child born in Estonia to an American parent, the Consul must determine whether the child is a U.S. citizen from birth.  If so, the child can be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), which is a certificate stating that the child is a U.S. citizen from birth, even though he/she was born outside of the United States.  The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100, payable at the time you visit the Consular Section, which can be paid by card only. If the parents also wish to obtain a first-time passport as well, the cost of the child’s passport is an additional $135.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, both parents should come in person with the child. (See below if one parent must be absent.)

Please present the following items:

  1. Completed Form DS-2029 (PDF 52 KB).  Please do not sign the form until instructed to do so by the Consul.
  2. Child’s original Estonian birth certificate translated into English.  (The English version can be obtained at the Office of Vital Statistics (Perekonnaseisuamet). We will make copies and return the original to you).
  3. Passports for both parents. An American parent who is a dual national must present a U.S. passport.
  4. Proof of the parents’ relationship prior to the child’s conception, such as a marriage certificate or a previous child’s birth certificate.
  5. The Consul may ask for additional evidence of the birth, such as pre-natal records and hospital records.
  6. In some cases evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s residence in the United States prior to the birth of the child.

To apply for a passport as well, also please present the following additional items:

  1. DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. Passport forms.
  2. Please do not sign the form until instructed to do so by the Consul.
  3. One passport photo (no more than 6 months old), 2 inches (5 cm) square with a white background. The child should have eyes open looking straight at the camera.
  4. If the child has an Estonian (or other) passport, please bring it for identification purposes (and please read our information on dual nationality).

If one parent cannot be present, a signed & notarized Form DS-3053 accompanied by photocopy of absent parent’s photo ID with signature must be brought to the Consul.  If one parent has sole legal custody, or the absent parent is not available due to death, disappearance, etc., please contact the Consular Section to address the matter with the Consul.

Please read more information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Where to Write for Vital Records. 

Find information about renouncing your U.S. citizenship on the website.

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Loss of Citizenship documentation in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

If you would like to proceed by making an appointment with a consular officer to renounce your citizenship, please send us an email at

Please review and complete:

Form DS-4081 (PDF 199 KB): Statement of Understanding Concerning Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. citizenship and

Form DS-4080 (PDF 263 KB): Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation of Nationality United States which are used in connection with renunciation of U.S. citizenship.  After completion, please contact us by sending an email to The original documents will have to be signed before an American consular officer at the time of your renunciation.  At this time you also have to turn in your current U.S. passport and show proof of any other nationality.

In addition, you may choose to submit a separate written explanation of your reasons for renunciation at your appointment.

You may also wish to refer to the travel website of the State Department (Law and Policy), for more information regarding renunciation and dual citizenship. 

Please note that you will also be required to file IRS form 8854 directly with the Internal Revenue Service.  For additional details and to download the form, please see the IRS website .

Before we can schedule an appointment for your renunciation at the U.S. Consulate in Helsinki we require the following information from you:

  • Your current address, telephone number and e-mail address;
  • Your full name as listed in your U.S. passport;
  • All previous names that you have used, if any;
  • a scan or photocopy of your completed but not signed Form DS-4080;
  • a scan or photocopy of your completed but not signed Form DS-4081;
  • Manner in which you acquired U.S. citizenship
  • Date and place of birth (city and state/country);
  • Your most recent U.S. Passport Number;
  • Your Social Security Number;
  • Your Last known U.S. address;
  • Your other nationality, if applicable;
  • Date when you acquired your other nationality;
  • Manner in which you acquired your other nationality (e.g. by birth, naturalization, etc. If you naturalized provide the date and place.);
  • Please list all periods of time that you have spent in the U.S., from birth until present time;

N.B.:  Effective September 12, 2014, the fee for the “Administrative Processing of Formal Renunciation of U. S Citizenship” is $2,350.00. It will be collected at the time of your appointment. Credit card payments are preferred. No third party can be present during a renunciation interview.


Form DS-4079 (PDF 142 KB): Determination of Possible Loss of U.S. Citizenship. If you have relinquished your U.S. citizenship in the past but have not requested a Certificate of Loss of Nationality, you may complete Form DS-4079 in lieu of Form DS-4080.

More information on relinquishment can be found on .

Effective November 9, 2015, the application/processing fee for relinquishment of U.S. citizenship is equal to the fee for renouncing U.S. citizenship: $2,350.


While American law does not specifically recognize dual nationality, neither does it explicitly prohibit it.  Accordingly, many U.S. citizens hold passports issued by other countries.

Although Estonian law generally does not permit dual nationality, Estonian law also provides that a person who has the right to Estonian citizenship from birth cannot have his/her citizenship taken away.  Accordingly, a number of individuals who have claims to Estonian citizenship from birth carry both Estonian and U.S. passports (such as Estonians who move to the United States and naturalize as U.S. citizens).  Any other U.S. citizen who does not have a claim to Estonian citizenship from birth, but who wishes to naturalize as an Estonian citizen, could risk losing his/her U.S. citizenship.  Any U.S. citizen who is considering pursuing this process is encouraged to speak to a Consul in order to understand the full consequences of such action.  Please note that to become a resident of Estonia (obtaining an “elamisluba”) has no effect on one’s U.S. citizenship.

According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for a U.S. citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than a U.S. passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Estonian and U.S. citizenships and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on an Estonian passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

Please read the Department of State’s general discussion of dual nationality.

Estonia is a party to the Schengen Agreement, which eliminates all internal border controls between the 25 member countries.  In general, U.S. citizens can visit the Schengen zone for tourism or business for 90 days within a six month period.  For a comprehensive review of the Schengen zone requirements, please visit the Department of State’s Schengen Fact Sheet.

Residency permits are issued by the Estonian Citizenship and Migration Board, which is a part of the Police.

Please note that the Estonian government has made changes in resident permit applications and renewals. Stricter rules are now in place before your application is approved. Make sure you check the below Migration board web-site carefully well in advance of the expiration of the current permit, if you are applying for renewal.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Embassy cannot contact the Board on behalf of American citizens.