Apply for a Child’s Passport

Applicants seeking to register the birth of an American Child, and obtain a passport for that child, are required to make an appointment with the Consular Section. This page provides information only for U.S. citizens who wish to obtain a citizenship document and first-time passport for a child born in Estonia. (If you wish to obtain a first-time passport for a child born in the United States, or for a child born in another country other than Estonia, please contact the Consular Section for more information).

Before a first-time passport can be issued to a child born in Estonia to an American parent, the Consul must determine whether the child is a U.S. citizen from birth. If so, the child can be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), which is a certificate stating that the child is a U.S. citizen from birth, even though he/she was born outside of the United States. The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100, payable at the time you visit the Consular Section, which can be paid by cards only. If the parents also wish to obtain a first-time passport as well, the cost of the child’s passport is an additional $105.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, both parents should come in person with the child. (See below if one parent must be absent.)

Please present the following items:

  1. Completed Form DS-2029 (PDF 52 KB). Please do not sign the form until instructed to do so by the Consul.
  2. Child’s original Estonian birth certificate translated into English.  (The English version can be obtained at the Office of Vital Statistics (Perekonnaseisuamet). We will make copies and return the original to you).
  3. Passports for both parents. An American parent who is a dual national must present a U.S. passport.
  4. Proof of the parents’ relationship prior to the child’s conception, such as a marriage certificate or a previous child’s birth certificate.
  5. The Consul may ask for additional evidence of the birth, such as pre-natal records and hospital records.
  6. In some cases evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s residence in the United States prior to the birth of the child.

To apply for a passport as well, also please present the following additional items:

  1. DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. Blank Application (PDF 100 KB). Complete Online.
  2. Please do not sign the form until instructed to do so by the Consul.
  3. One passport photo (no more than 6 months old), 2 inches (5 cm) square with a white background. The child should have eyes open looking straight at the camera.
  4. If the child has an Estonian (or other) passport, please bring it for identification purposes (and please read our information on dual nationality).

If one parent cannot be present, a signed & notarized Form DS-3053 accompanied by photocopy of absent parent’s photo ID with signature must be brought to the Consul. If one parent has sole legal custody, or the absent parent is not available due to death, disappearance, etc., please contact the Consular Section to address the matter with the Consul.

Please read more information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Where to Write for Vital Records.