If your passport was lost or stolen, you are advised to file a police report. A fee of $135 (or $105 in the case of an applicant under age 16) will be payable at the time you visit the Consular Section, which can be paid in cash U.S. dollars, the cash equivalent in Euro, or with certain credit cards. No appointment is necessary for applicants needing to travel immediately. Other applicants are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the Consular Section.
The applicant should present the following items:
- Completed Form DS-11. Please do not sign the document until instructed to do so by the Consul.
- Completed Form DS-64 providing circumstances of the loss/theft/damage.
- One passport photo (no more than 6 months old), 2 inches (5 cm) square with a white background.
- If replacing a damaged passport, please present the passport.
- If any other photo ID is available (e.g., driver’s license, school ID), please present it as well.
If the applicant is under age 16, both parents will be required to sign and prove parentage and identity, following the same rules that apply for renewing a child’s passport.
Once the application is complete and approved by the Consul, the passport will be ready for pick-up in approximately 7 – 10 days. In emergency circumstances where immediate travel is necessary (as determined by the Consul), a limited validity passport can be prepared immediately.
More information on U.S. passports is available on the main travel website of the U.S. Department of State.