Weather Alert – U.S. Embassy Tallinn (18 December 2019)
Event: The Estonian Rescue Board announced an Estonia-wide storm warning for December 18 and December 19, with northern Estonian Counties (including Tallinn), western Counties and the islands being most effected. The warning announces upcoming high winds, with the heaviest in the late afternoon, December 18, and with a possibility of falling branches and trees, broken power lines. Wind gusts are forecasted up to 25-30 meters per second, which is 56-67 miles per hour. The Rescue Board encourages people to stay indoors during periods of high wind, avoid driving if possible and to avoid using fireplaces. The Rescue Board notes blackouts are possible. The Rescue Board has a complete English-language guide for storms, natural disasters and other crises which we have posted on the Embassy website here. The Rescue Board’s warning is available in Estonian here and in Russian.
Actions to Take:
- Take precautions to avoid flying debris, falling branches and downed powerlines.
- Stay indoors during periods of high wind if possible
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Call 112 if you face imminent danger or 1343 to report downed powerlines.
U.S. Embassy Tallinn, Estonia
- +372 668 8128, 08:30 a.m.- 17:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +372 509 2129
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates